Income and Finance

Social Welfare Payments:

If a service user has a query regarding their current social welfare payments, needs to apply for a new payment or just needs to update their details they should attend their local Intreo Centre or Social Welfare Local and Branch Office (see here)

In order to assess whether a service user is availing of all relevant social welfare payments you should:

  • Step 1: Determine exactly which type of primary payment the individual or family is availing of (e.g. Jobseekers Allowance or Benefit, One Parent Family Payment, Illness Benefit)
  • Step 2: Check the Citizens Information website ( – Social welfare section) to see what additional benefits (if any) the service user can avail of based on their primary payment. For example those in receipt of One-Parent Family may also be eligible for other benefits such as Fuel Allowance, Working Family Payment, Rent Supplement or a medical card.
  • Step 3: Depending of the level of support required you can advise the service user of how and where to apply for any additional benefits or print the forms and assist them in completing the form. Most forms are available via the or

Community Welfare Service

The Supplementary Welfare Allowance Scheme consists of a basic payment, called Supplementary Welfare Allowance, and other financial supplements for certain expenses you may not be able to meet, including emergency situations. It is administered by the DEASP representative (formerly known as the Community Welfare Officer) in the local office.



NOTE: You can assist both the service user and the CWO to reduce waiting times by ensuring that the relevant form is completed prior to attending the local office. This form (SWA 1) is available online. Rent Supplement may be administered by a local CWO for addresses in certain parts of Cork and Kerry. You should check if this is the case via the Intreo Centre, Community Welfare Service (021 – 4943100) (Cork) or the Tralee Rents Unit (091 536720) (Kerry).

Budgeting Support

Some service users may need support to deal with debt issues or may simply want to be able to manage their money more effectively. MABS (the Money Advice and Budgeting Service) offer a variety of supports to help people deal with and prevent debt. MABS runs a Helpline (0761 07 2000, Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm) and also operates from local offices across Cork and Kerry.

See here for a full list of local offices and contact details.

MABS also provide excellent online tools that are very easy to use. These can used as part of keyworking sessions and can be very useful for service users who may not have debt issues but may simply want to manage their finances more effectively. See here
and Appendix 10.1 for a copy of a basic budget plan.

St. Vincent De Paul

Depending on a service user’s circumstances the St. Vincent De Paul may be able to offer advice and assistance. Their ‘Personal Visiting’ service can be particularly helpful for households who are in financial distress and may require support for a once off expense.


Ozanam House, 2 Tuckey Street, Cork

021 4270444


Ozanam House, Friary Lane, Tralee, Co. Kerry

064-6622668 or 066-7128021

Cork Sick Poor Society

Cork Sick Poor Society assists families under financial pressure to provide them with material and other assistance. They assist families and individuals from Bishopstown through Cork City and as far as Mahon. This covers the Southern Parish or South of the River.

Dunbar Street, Cork

087 754 9933 and

Feed Cork

Feed Cork work with local agencies and businesses to help fight food poverty in Cork. They offer a food box filled with a three day supply of nutritional food for individuals and families in need.

Lower Oliver Plunkett Street, Cork

021 4273696


Cork Penny Dinners

Provide a hot nourishing meal of soup, main course, dessert and tea/coffee daily. In addition sandwiches, biscuits, fruit and juice are also available to take away as an evening meal.

Cork Penny Dinners, 4, Little Hanover Street, Cork

021 4275604