Gaps and Blocks Protocol

Why and when to use

If the worker encounters a barrier or block to progression in a Service User’s care plan that relates to the provision of service they should undertake the following steps:

  • In the first instance raise it with colleagues for informal advice, as appropriate
  • Request advice from the supervisor / manager

If the issue cannot be resolved within the service then the issue should be recorded on a Gaps and Blocks form and will be sent to the rehabilitation co-ordinator. At this point the Rehabilitation Coordinator will work with members of the treatment and rehabilitation group, the advisory group and the HSE National Drug Rehabilitation Coordinator to resolve the issue. If it cannot be resolved at this level, the Gaps and Blocks form will be delivered to the HSE National Drug Rehabilitation Coordinator.